Posts for category: Dental Procedures
Professional whitening offers many advantages over the DIY products and kits that line your grocery store's shelves. Dr. Hazem F. Wehbe and Dr. Monika Kaceli, your dentists in West Roxbury, Massachusetts, offer teeth whitening to patients who want to improve the appearance of their teeth quickly and affordably. If you've been considering brightening your smile, read on to learn why professional whitening is the way to go.
How does whitening work?
Teeth whitening is a chemical process that introduces tiny, oxygenated bubbles into the invisible pits and grooves on the surface of the teeth. These little spaces trap food and drink particles that build up over time and change the color of the teeth. When the peroxide-based whitening solution is applied to the teeth, the peroxide interacts with the natural bacteria in the mouth and sends the bubbles into the tiny spaces, breaking the food particles into even smaller pieces and dislodging them. The result is a smile that is up to ten shades brighter than when you walked into your dentist's office.
Why should I choose professional whitening?
Having your teeth whitened at your West Roxbury family dentist's office is a comfortable and quick procedure, although having a professional apply the whitening solution ensures your safety and the best possible outcome. Your teeth are cleaned prior to your whitening treatment, and a barrier is applied to your gums and lips to keep the whitening gel from coming into contact with the sensitive skin. Dr. Wehbe and his staff use professional-grade products that have a much higher concentration than over-the-counter treatments, which translates into longer-lasting results that are immediately evident. In just an hour-long appointment, you can have a gleaming new smile that lasts a year or more.
To schedule a whitening appointment with Dr. Hazem Wehbe and Dr. Monika Kaceli, contact our family dentistry practice in West Roxbury, Massachusetts at (617) 323-5000.
Are you considering straightening your teeth with Invisalign? This discreet orthodontic option offered by your West Roxbury, MA, dentists, Drs. Hazem Wehbe and Monika Kaceli, can transform your smile—read on to learn more.
5 Invisalign Benefits
If you've been looking for a simple, subtle way to improve your appearance, Invisalign may be the perfect treatment option for you. In fact, invisible braces offer these advantages:
- An Improved Smile: Even a few crooked teeth can make you feel self-conscious about your smile. Invisible braces gradually improve the alignment of your teeth, boosting your self-esteem. The Invisalign system uses clear, removable aligner trays that straighten teeth discreetly.
- No More Bite Problems: Bite problems can affect the appearance of your smile, but that's not always the case. Sometimes, the problems can occur even though your teeth look straight. Issues with your bite can affect chewing ability, damage your gums, cut your gum/ mouth, and cause excessive wear and tear on your teeth. Invisalign corrects mild-to-moderate bite problems, including overbites, crossbites, underbites, and open bites.
- An Adjustment-Free Option: Invisible braces don't rely on adjustments to straighten teeth. The aligner trays you'll wear over your teeth exert constant pressure that slowly straightens crooked teeth, corrects bite problems, closes gaps, and eliminates crowding. Your West Roxbury dentist will give you a series of custom-made trays when you start Invisalign treatment. You'll wear each set of trays for about two weeks before swapping them for the next set in the series.
- Convenience: You don't have to avoid certain foods when you straighten your teeth with invisible braces. Before you eat or drink, you'll remove your trays, and simply place them back in your mouth when you are done. You will also take your trays out before brushing and flossing.
- An Excellent Solution for Adults: Depending on your straightening goals, you may only need to wear your aligner trays for six months to a year if you're an adult—children cannot use Invisalign, for their jaws are still developing.
Enhance your smile with invisible braces! Call your dentists in West Roxbury, MA, Drs. Wehbe and Kaceli, at (617) 323-5000 to schedule your appointment.
Teeth whitening is an easy and effective way to rejuvenate your smile. Whether your teeth have become dull with age or are stained from certain foods and beverages, teeth whitening can transform your smile. Some people try using over-the-counter products to whiten their teeth, but professional whitening treatments offered by your dentist deliver the best results. Dr. Hazem Wehbe is your dentist for professional teeth whitening in West Roxbury.
Benefits of Teeth Whitening
The benefits of professional teeth whitening available through Dr. Wehbe’s dental office are numerous. A professional strength bleaching agent is used that can deliver a whiter smile in less time than is possible with over-the-counter whitening products. Additionally, your teeth will remain whiter longer with professional teeth whitening. With proper care, the results can last for several years before further whitening treatment is needed. Two types of professional teeth whitening are available: in-office and take-home teeth whitening.
In-Office Teeth Whitening
In-office teeth whitening in West Roxbury is the quickest way to whiten and brighten your smile. Your teeth could be up to eight shades whiter after just one in-office teeth whitening treatment session. A professional strength whitening gel is applied to the teeth by a dental professional. Special precautions are taken to protect the gums and other sensitive areas from coming into contact with the whitening gel since the bleaching agent in it potentially can be harsh.
The whitening gel remains on the teeth for about one hour. After an hour elapses, the whitening gel is cleaned off the teeth, which will be significantly whiter and brighter. No additional whitening treatment session should be needed for a few years.
Take-Home Teeth Whitening
Take-home teeth whitening from your dental office is a convenient way to achieve professional whitening results in the convenience of your own home. Patients who choose the take-home whitening option are provided with a professional quality whitening gel and whitening trays custom made for a perfect fit. To whiten, simply add some of the whitening gel to the trays and place the trays over each row of teeth for about an hour. Repeat regularly as instructed by your dentist to achieve a significantly whiter smile in just a few weeks.
There are many reasons to consider teeth whitening. It can brighten teeth that have become dull with age, eliminate stains and discolorations, and significantly whiten your smile. For professional teeth whitening in West Roxbury, MA, schedule an appointment with Dr. Wehbe by calling (617) 323-5000.
Are you thinking of getting dental implants?
There are many restorative procedures that can help strengthen and rejuvenate your smile, but dental implants are the best. If you're interested, doctors at H.F. Wehbe can provide dental implants in West Roxbury, MA.
More on Dental Implants in West Roxbury:
Dental implants are one of many restorative procedures, like dentures and bridges. Dental implants consist of several parts:
- There's a titanium post that's inserted into the jawbone
- A screw that secures an abutment over the titanium post
- A crown matching the rest of your teeth is placed above the abutment
The titanium post is surgically inserted into your jaws to replace missing tooth root. It provides stability and strength, and prevents weakening and shrinkage of the jawbone. After placing the titanium post, the dentist will seal your gums and after waiting 3 to 6 months for osseointegration to occur, which is the process of the post fusing to the rest of your jawbone. Afterwards, your dentist re-opens the area above the titanium post, inserts a screw, places an abutment above the screw and secure a crown on top that matches the rest of your teeth.
Taking Care of Your Implants:
- Like the rest of your teeth, make sure you brush your teeth at least twice a day and floss every day, at least once before bed.
- A change in diet is beneficial. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, and avoid sugary foods to prevent the accumulation of plaque.
Advantages of Dental Implants:
- They restore bite and chewing function.
- They fill gaps to give you a full smile.
- They restore cracks, chips, or fractures one tooth, a few teeth or all of your teeth.
- Dental implants don't move while you're eating or speaking.
- Dental implants can last a lifetime.
If you have more questions or concerns about dental implants, call your dentists in West Roxbury, MA, by calling them at (617) 323-5000
It's abnormal for a tooth to hurt or to be super-sensitive to heat or cold. You have a molar that behaves that way. Should you do something? At H.F. Wehbe, DDS, DMD, Family Dental Care in West Roxbury, MA, your dentist will evaluate that problematic tooth to see what's wrong and how to treat it--perhaps with root canal therapy. Learn here what shows the doctor you need a root canal.
What is root canal therapy?
Also called endodontics, a root canal removes inflamed, damaged pulp from a tooth's interior chamber and up to four narrow root canals. This inner structure contains blood vessels, supportive tissue and other elements essential to the tooth's development. As the tooth ages into adulthood, it can function without these soft elements which are prone to infection and inflammation from oral injury and decay.
That's where root canal therapy is so beneficial. Accomplished in just two visits to H.F. Wehbe, DDS, DMD, Family Dental Care, a root canal treatment removes diseased pulp, disinfects and seals the tooth and crowns it to strengthen and beautify the area above the gums.
To determine if a root canal would help, your dentist in West Roxbury, MA, inspects the tooth and its surrounding tissues. Also, the doctor asks about symptoms and takes digital X-rays to evaluate the jaw bone and roots. With a diagnosis of abscess, extensive decay or other problem confirmed, your dentist numbs the tooth and accesses the interior chamber through small holes created with a handheld drill.
Through these holes, he or she inserts tiny metal files of increasing size. The files remove the pulp and smooth the canal walls. Each canal receives antibiotic medication and a natural elastic substance called gutta-percha. Gutta-percha strengthens and seals the tooth, allowing the dentist to place a temporary filling or cap.
After the tooth heals, you'll return to the office for placement of a customized porcelain crown. This crown is realistic in form and function and will allow your tooth to bite and chew and to blend in with your smile.
The American Association of Endodontists, experts in root canal therapy, states that these procedures are up to 97 percent successful, preserving injured teeth indefinitely. At H.F. Wehbe, DDS, DMD, Family Dental Care, Dr. Scott Young is our staff endodontist.
When a tooth is in danger
Mostly, you'll know when a tooth has a problem, but sometimes, worrisome symptoms are not obvious. That's why preventive care--exams, X-rays and hygienic cleanings--are critical to oral health. The dentist's professional eyes spot signs of danger you may not notice.
However, typical signs you need root canal therapy usually show as:
- Throbbing pain
- Swelling and redness of the gums
- A pimple on the gums
- Dental sensitivity to heat, cold and sugar
- Tooth discoloration
- Bad-tasting drainage
- A crack or large chip
If you're in between check-ups and notice unusual dental symptoms, don't wait. Please contact H.F. Wehbe, DDS, DMD, Family Dental Care for a consultation. You may need root canal therapy. Call (617) 323-5000.
|Monday:||8:00 AM - 5:00 PM|
|Tuesday:||8:00 AM - 7:00 PM|
|Wednesday:||8:00 AM - 5:00 PM|
|Thursday:||8:00 AM - 7:00 PM|
|Friday:||8:00 AM - 5:00 PM|
|Saturday:||8:00 AM - 2:00 PM|